Jack A. Levy
PartnerView PDF Bio - Download Vcard
P: (202) 567-2313
Jack Levy advises companies and trade associations on all aspects of international economic regulation and trade policy. He has been recognized by Chambers and Partners for his “wide-ranging expertise,” which includes:
- Trade remedy litigation (antidumping, countervailing duty, and safeguard);
- Export control regulation (ITAR, EAR, NRC, Anti-boycott);
- Economic sanctions;
- CFIUS reviews; and
- Trade policy.
Mr. Levy has substantial experience litigating before the U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Commission, United States Court of International Trade, NAFTA panels, and the World Trade Organization. He also represents individual companies and associations on trade legislation in the Congress and trade policy issues under review by the executive branch of the United States government.
Mr. Levy’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of U.S. appliance producer in multiple antidumping and countervailing duty actions against South Korea and Mexico.
- Representation of U.S. copper tube producers in a successful antidumping action against China and Mexico.
- Representation of U.S. chemical producers in more than a dozen antidumping and countervailing duty investigations, administrative reviews, changed circumstances reviews, new shipper reviews, and sunset reviews.
- Defense of Canadian softwood lumber producers in antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings and related appeals.
- Representation of U.S. ferroalloy producers in antidumping proceedings before the U.S. Commerce Department and U.S. International Trade Commission
- Defense of U.S. commodity importer in multi-million dollar customs fraud investigation.
- Defense of a global chemical manufacturer in export control enforcement action.
- Representation of a Middle East distributor in anti-boycott enforcement proceeding.
- Representation of various Canadian and European multinationals on U.S. economic sanctions compliance matters.
- Regulatory counseling in connection with foreign direct investments in various US sectors, including nuclear technology, financial services, heavy equipment, real estate, and telecommunications.
- Advice to trade association on complex North American market access and investment issues.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by Chambers USA as a leader for International Trade Remedies and Policy, 2012-2016
- Recognized by Chambers Global, 2012-2016
- Selected as a Washington DC Super Lawyer, 2014-2016
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America ─ International Trade and Finance Law, 2014-2016
- Included in International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers, 2013-2015
- Recognized by The Washington Post among the Best Lawyers in Washington, DC, 2015
- Listed in the Expert Guide to International Trade and Shipping, 2012-2015
- Recommended by the Guide to the World’s Leading International Trade Lawyers, 2010
- Ranked among the Top 25 International Trade Lawyers in the World, 2008
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center (Order of the Coif; The Georgetown Law Journal)
- MSFS, Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, with honors
- Fulbright Scholar, Paraguay
- BA, Johns Hopkins University, with honors
- The Hon. Sonia Sotomayor, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Trade Remedies and Strategic View of Trade Policy: TPP, TTIP, and TPA, Co-Panelist (October 2014)
- Compliance with US Trade Laws, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, Plenary Speaker (April 2011)
- US Trade Challenges for Canadian Industry, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, Panelist (April 2009)
- The Extraterritorial Reach of US Export Controls and Sanctions, Canadian Information Technology Law Association (September 2008)
- US Trade Controls: Important Considerations for Canadian Technology Companies, Ottawa Centre for Research and Innovation (March 2008)
- CFIUS and Sovereign Wealth Investments, DLA Piper Symposium, Panelist (February 2008)
- Crossing Borders: Strategies and Experiences in the Global Market Place, World Trade Center Institute, Embassy Day Panelist (October 2007)
- Chinese Market Access and Intellectual Property Enforcement: Opportunities and Challenges for US Health Care Companies (February 2007)
- The Top 3 Emerging Issues in International Trade and Investment Law: Proactive Advice for North American Businesses, before the Association of Corporate Counsel, Greater New York Chapter (December 2006)