Ulrika Swanson is a partner in Cassidy Levy Kent’s Washington, DC office, where her practice focuses on export controls and economic sanctions. As outside counsel to domestic and international companies in a wide range of industries, Ms. Swanson provides advice on regulatory compliance, and represents clients before the Office of Foreign Assets Control, the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, and the Bureau of Industry and Security. Ms. Swanson also assists clients in trade remedy actions before the U.S. International Trade Commission and the U.S. Department of Commerce, as well as clients involved in proceedings before U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Prior to joining Cassidy Levy Kent, Ms. Swanson spent over a decade working in the international trade and investment field. She held a senior position in a prominent Washington-based public policy research organization, where her work included studies on cross-border trade issues, U.S.-China economic relations, U.S. economic issues, environmental standards under the WTO system, and free trade agreements. While there she also provided trade-related strategy advice to foreign governments. Ms. Swanson also previously served as a legal consultant to an international arbitration law firm, where she advised on issues relating to cross-border trade and investment and assisted clients involved in international commercial disputes.
While in law school, Ms. Swanson completed internships in the United States Trade Representative’s Office of Intellectual Property and Innovation, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve’s Office of the Inspector General.
- Co-Chair, Women in International Trade, Exports, Sanctions, & National Security Committee
- Vice Chair, Customs and International Trade Bar Association, Export Control Committee
- Vice Chair of Diversity, American Bar Association, International Trade Committee
- Past Vice Chair of Programming, American Bar Association, Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Georgetown Law International Trade Update, “The National Securitization of Trade Law and Policy” (June 14, 2023)
- Speaker, Royal Canadian Military Institute, “The Long Arm of the Law: Navigating U.S. and Canadian Sanctions and Export Controls for Canadian Businesses” (May 19, 2023)
- Moderator, “A Panel on Russia Sanctions & Export Controls” (CITBA) (June 3, 2022)
- J.D., George Washington University
- M.A., Yale University
- B.A., Johns Hopkins University, with honors
- Diploma in International Studies, SAIS Europe
- District of Columbia
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit