Martin Schaefermeier practices international trade law with a focus on customs matters, import relief actions, subsequent litigation of such actions and related import/export matters.
He has more than 25 years of experience in a full spectrum of international trade matters including antidumping, countervailing duty, and other import relief proceedings, complex customs matters, international trade legislation, trade negotiations, and trade litigation. He has assisted domestic producers, importers, foreign producers, and exporters in a wide range of industries, including ferroalloys, ferrous and nonferrous metals, chemicals, construction materials, and other industrial and consumer products.
Mr. Schaefermeier has represented clients with respect to trade relief actions before the Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission, the U.S. Court of International, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and NAFTA binational dispute resolution panels, and trade and customs matters before the Office of the United States Trade Representative, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Foreign-Trade Zones Board, other federal agencies and the United States Congress.
In the customs area, Mr. Schaefermeier has assisted clients with a wide range of issues, including classification, country of origin, liquidated damages, and valuation matters, Section 301, 232, and 201 tariffs, preferential duty treatment under various free trade agreements and programs, marking requirements, voluntary disclosures, customs audits, due diligence, and Maritime law (Jones Act).
- Represented medical device makers and importers in complex customs matters, including prior disclosures and liquidated damages proceedings
- Represented importers of consumer products in antidumping and countervailing duty scope inquiries and circumvention proceedings
- Represented precious metal importer in connection with broad-based customs matters
- Represented biologics manufacturer in connection with the importation of manufacturing equipment and supplies
- Represented silicon metal and ferroalloys manufacturers in connection with antidumping and countervailing duty investigations, administrative reviews, new shipper reviews, circumvention matters, and related litigation
- Represented consumer products importers in connection with due diligence related to customs compliance
- American Bar Association
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Important Tariffs and Import Duties Updates, Lorman Educational Services, June 2022
- Neue Vorschriften der U.S. Steuerbehörde bezuglich der Besteuerung von Gewinnen aus gesellschaftsrechtlichen Transaktionen zwischen U.S.-amerikanischen und auslandischen Aktiengesellschaften (New IRS regulations regarding the transfer of securities between U.S. and foreign persons in the context of corporate organizations, reorganizations and liquidations), 9/10 Internationale Steuerinformationen 362
- LL.M., Duke University School of Law
- J.D. equivalent, Albert-Ludwigs-University, Freiburg, Germany
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit